Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Lent

I originally posted this on Facebook...then I started thinking about how I haven't posted anything here in a long time, even though I've got a major one brewing in the recesses of my brain, and decided a little cut and paste never hurt anyone...

Truth be told, I have never fully involved myself in Lent. I've never felt called to give something up and I probably won't this year, especially since I haven't taken any time to put some serious thought and prayer into it. However, the influx of "self-sacrifice" posts I've seen on facebook this week has prodded me to study Lent a little more closely. For those who are giving something up for Lent, I hope that you also try to incorporate the whole season into your life, instead of just a temporary fast from the "luxurious." Not that abstinence alone is a bad thing, it just seems rather empty when taken out of the context of the "big picture."

As I have dug into the season, I have learned that the traditional purpose of Lent is to prepare us, as believers in Christ, through prayer, penance, repentance, almsgiving, and self-denial, for Holy Week, our celebration of the death and resurrection of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. As much as we focus on the giving up, I hope and pray that, as the Bride of Christ, we would spend as much energy or more on prayer, penance, repentance, and almsgiving. I would also encourage you to make sure that you're not just going to replace your sacrifice with something else to help ease the pain of the fast, if that's the case then what's the point?

My study has brought me some valuable knowledge and, in the immortal words of GI Joe, "knowing is half the battle." I look forward to watching this Lenten season unfold through more knowledgeable eyes even while I find myself considering how I can begin preparing now, for the season which begins 365 days from today. Maybe I can start by giving up being preachy on facebook...and, yes, I worked GI Joe into a post about Lent. I'm a little proud of that.

Have a meaningful Lenten season. Relish the sacrifice that was made just for you. I will.

1 comment:

  1. That made me laugh out loud about GI Joe. Good post.Nancy

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.
Thanks for leaving one, I'll get to it soon.
Chad