Thursday, April 11, 2013

April 21

Well, I'm not gonna lie, school is kicking my butt. I find I'm struggling (but still getting A's) with two areas:

  1. Time management - this is something I have never really mastered in my life. I tend to be a bit of a procrastinator anyway but I also tend to get overwhelmed if I spend too much time staring at the big picture, which causes me to lose focus and get sidetracked on minor issues.
  2. Internet brain - back in February, I posted about how the internet is changing the way our brains work in regards to learning...at least for those of us who use the internet regularly. School means a big transition back to reading books...lots of books...and I'm finding that the neural pathways which help turn academic reading into academic learning have suffered a bit of atrophy over the past 15 years. This makes it difficult to sit down and focus on learning for any length of time (more than about 10 minutes) without the learned impulse to check email, Facebook, text messages, etc., etc. kicking in. I typically find myself spending 6 hours in the library trying to accomplish 3 to 4 hours of work. I am carefully evaluating the means necessary to overcome this and think a Facebook blackout might be on the near horizon. I'm not too bad with email and I don't have enough people texting me to make that a real issue...my biggest problem is Facebook. It both consumes a lot of time and the way it is designed contributes to the atrophy of the pathways needed for book learning'. Ultimately, this issue has the biggest impact on item #1.
I know I will make it through the semester and probably have my best academic showing ever...it's just mentally exhausting. I'm starting to think I need to put a nice 3 to 5 day excursion on my calendar for May to get away once exam week is done.

In other news, and the main reason for this post, I have been invited to share my testimony during both services at the Spring Arbor Free Methodist Church on Sunday, April 21. Many of you have been praying for me, encouraging me, and lifting me up over the past two years and I sincerely appreciate that. If you're in the area, feel free to come to either the 9:00AM or 11:15AM service and listen in person. If you live out of town and would live to watch or listen, set your alarm and head over to the church website where both services are streamed live and can be listened to later in the archive at the Spring Arbor Free Methodist Church online.

I'm anxious and nervous and ask that those of you who pray ask God to speak His love through me and through my life on April 21.

Thanks,
Chad

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chad,
    Went looking for you on facebook to tell you how much I appreciated you sharing your life at church today. God did you use you powerfully in so many lives today. I had heard from my son, who was listening in on to first service on the radio that it was going to be sad. And then in sunday school -- Dan Runyon said that it waas one of the five most meaningful sermons he had heard.

    And it was especially meaningful to me as well. I remember sitting in church when Pastor Mark asked for prayers for you and your family and my heart broke for you then. I know how difficult your journey has been as I have walked a similar journey. Tim Keller talks about how we must be laid bare.... for me, I have felt totally stripped down to the core ... but each day God has shown Himself to be faithful to His word and to me. Through it all, He has never left me nor forsaken me. And all of it - God, heaven, eternity -- is so much more real than ever before.... its transforming.

    What you said today - was a blessing and so very inspiring.... and touched many hearts - I know it touched mine.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.
Thanks for leaving one, I'll get to it soon.
Chad