Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Breathe

Have you ever taken a deep breath, only to realize it was all you needed to turn things around, be it your attitude, your perspective, or your entire day? It happens to me on a pretty regular basis. There's something about a deep breath...a really deep breath...that can do something good for your heart and mind.

I spent the past 3 days up at Mackinac City, Michigan, with my extended family on my mom's side. It was great, it always is (we get together every summer for 3 to 4 days, usually for the July 4th weekend.) Of course, it's hard, too. It's a wonderful time with family...but it's also a pungent reminder of what I've lost, what's we've lost. The last two summers have been hard for all of us because this time we enjoy so much is an "in your face" reminder that they are not with us.

Arriving back home is always a little bit of a letdown after a great time away with family. Tonight I needed to breathe, I just didn't know it until I headed out for a walk just before 11:00PM. I popped my ear buds in, started up the Music app on my iPhone, selected the My Favorites (Christian) playlist and hit Shuffle...

Take my sorrow and my sin
I will run into Your arms again
Hold me Father
Once again my tears are dried
By your perfect love that's river-wide
Over-flowing

As I stand on its bank
With my arms overhead
I am overcome

As I breathe
The air of Heaven
Drawing in Your fragrance
When I breathe
I feel Your fullness come alive
Inside of me
You're the breath that I breathe

Covered by the evening sky
I turn my gaze to where Your kingdom lies
Deep inside me
A silent whisper in my mind
Sweet surrender to Your love divine
Peace enfolding

In the stillness I empty my soul
And Your presence flows

As I breathe
The air of Heaven
Drawing in Your fragrance
When I breathe
I feel Your fullness come alive
Inside of me
You're the breath that I breathe

It's taking hold
It's second nature when I
Savor...
When I Savor...
You
As I breathe

...and Leigh Nash, of Sixpence None The Richer, led me right into what I needed...to just breathe. When trouble comes, in any form, I want to remind myself to breathe...breathe in the love of Christ...the scent of Heaven...the breath of God. Tonight, as I took that deep breath, I couldn't help but feel like He was there, standing beside me, walking beside me, offering me His strength, and whispering to me, "it's OK, buddy, I've got this. Just trust me, I'll lead you home."

Why is something so simple as a breath so hard to do sometimes? After all, we breathe all day long, regardless of whether we think about it or not, it's truly second nature, it's automatic; yet, it's still not enough. We need to pause and take that breath in a new way, one that reminds us about what's important and where we're headed.

God, I come to you in my brokenness, seeking your breath. Breathe the scent of Heaven into me, that I might savor your love in a fresh way today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.
Thanks for leaving one, I'll get to it soon.
Chad