Sunday, June 17, 2012

In Christ Alone

I listened to church today. I watched it, too. I just wasn't there. I was sitting at home, in my comfy recliner...if I told you why, it would just be one of those TMI moments that's better left just not happening. It was good to join in worship, even if I wasn't there.

In the past year and half, I've often found myself crying at church during the praise and worship time. Not bawling my eyes out, just tears as the truth of Christ's love touches my heart and soul. One of the songs that gets me every time is In Christ Alone. It was written a decade ago, by Stuart Townsend and Keith Getty, but recently took on new life thanks to Owl City and several other contemporary artists who have covered it.


In Christ alone, my hope is found
He is my light, my strength, my song
This cornerstone, this solid ground
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm
What heights of love, what depths of peace
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease
My comforter, my all-in-all
Here in the love of Christ I stand

There in the ground His body lay
Light of the world by darkness slain
Then bursting forth in glorious day
Up from the grave He rose again
And as He stands in victory
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me

For I am His and He is mine
Bought with the precious blood of Christ

No guilt in life, no fear in death

This is the power of Christ in me
From life's first cry to final breath
Jesus commands my destiny
No power of hell, no scheme of man
Can ever pluck me from His hand

'Til He returns or calls me home
Here in the power of Christ I'll stand

'Til He returns or calls me home
Here in the power of Christ I'll stand
Here in the power of Christ I'll stand

A good friend gave me a CD not long after Sara and Miranda's funeral. This song was one of the tracks he'd included. It's impact on me hasn't changed since I first listened to it on that CD. The message is complex, yet simple. It's complete, it tells the whole story. When I need, He gives. Through everything I and my family have been through, Christ hasn't changed. His gift hasn't changed. His love hasn't changed. His power hasn't changed. His message hasn't changed. His purpose hasn't changed. His story hasn't changed. His truth hasn't changed. His offer hasn't changed. His promise hasn't changed. The END hasn't changed. He will return. He will take me, us, to be with Him.

He is Solid. He is The Cornerstone. He is the Light. He is Victory. He is Fearless. He is Peace. He is Power. He is Savior. He is Mine and I am His...why wouldn't I want to stand in that?

In his sermon today, Pastor Adam Davidson talked about Christ being our anchor. There have been many days since February 5, 2011, when it felt like all I had...when I didn't understand it, when all I had was the question "why?"...was the anchor to hold onto. Holding fast in the storm, eyes closed, fingers gripped tightly, to the anchor.

Jesus, I am broken, but yours. I offer you my brokenness on this day. Thank you for truth. Thank you for love. Thank you for forgiveness. Thank you for being everything for me that I can not be on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.
Thanks for leaving one, I'll get to it soon.
Chad