Friday, June 15, 2012

Love

Hmmmmm...I'm sensing some themes here in my life rearranged...

I listened to my iTunes Genius playlist again while out walking tonight. I feel blessed to have had a computer randomly select such a great group of songs for me to listen to; although, I guess it's hard to call it random, if it were random where would the "genius" aspect of it come in? I've actually created two more Genius playlist and plan on rotating through them over the coming weeks...I might even create more. I'm crossing my fingers that the strength of the first one I made wasn't just a fluke; I guess time will tell.

The playlist stretched my walk out to 5+ miles again tonight. To be honest, I could walk a lot longer with that music playing; however, I'd end up with bloodied and blistered stumps at the end of my legs. I'm already feeling a little extra "wear" from going over 5 miles for the second straight night. The playlist is also giving me something to look forward to, which is the motivation that I'm finding works best for me...it's not about exercising and the walking, it's about the music. :)

Early on in tonight's walk, I caught myself thinking about some of the more recent hurts in my life and I was "rehearsing" the speeches that I'd like to give to the responsible parties, even though I know I have no intention of ever giving them. It sucks when you have that moment of realization that you're doing the very thing that you've been asking God to help you NOT do. It's embarrassing, even if I'm the only one who knew I was doing it (of course, God knew I was doing it but that's just a given, right?) So, there I am, on my emotional knees, even while my physical ones are pushing me around the apartment complex, giving those things to God...again. I think forgiveness is going to be a long road, but I am happy to say that I didn't spend a lot of time beating myself up for it, which I think is a step in the right direction.

It wasn't long after this that tonight's song came on...Love, by Petra:

Love is patient, love is kind
No eyes of envy, true love is blind
Love is humble, it knows no pride
No selfish motive hidden inside
Love is gentle, makes no demands
Despite all wrong, true live still stands
Love is holy, love is pure
It lasts forever, it will endure

(Chorus)
Love knows when to let go
Love knows when to say no
Love grows in the light of the Son
And love shows the world that the Son of Love has come

Love is loyal, believes the best
It loves the truth, love stands the test
Love is God sent in His Son
Love forgives all we have done

In this world where hatred seems to grow
True love goes against the flow
And becomes so hard to show

In this world where push turns to shove
We have strength to rise above
Through the power of His love
Lord, we need to know the power of Your love

The song is taken quite directly from 1 Corintians 13, one of the more famous passages from the Bible. Famous enough that even many non-believers are familiar with it; after all, it's quoted in about 99.99% of wedding's that happen in a church. Not that there's a problem with that. The message is certainly a good one for married couples to consider as a core part of their relationship.

Tonight though, the song got me thinking about Love Wins, by Rob Bell...yeah...that book that caused a huge uproar in the Christian community not that long ago. I just read it last week. I didn't get involved in the hoopla when it first came out. First, I hadn't read it. I hadn't read anything by Rob Bell. I didn't feel qualified to jump into the fray (although I'm under the impression that that didn't stop many people.) Second, I had some other, more important, things I was dealing with in my life at that time. Now that I've read it, I think that it was much ado about nothing. He spent seven chapters "poking the bear," asking difficult and though provoking questions, before he finally got to what really mattered...Love Wins!

This song reminded me that when Paul wrote this letter to the Corinthians, he wasn't writing a wedding sermon. He was essentially chastising members of the church there who had forgotten what their new found faith was really about. They were arguing about things about which Paul felt compelled to say, "Hey! Listen up! That stuff's not as important as you think it is! In the end, the thing that matters most is LOVE! Love wins!" And really, when you look at all the things love IS...is it any wonder?

Lord, I come to you in brokenness, seeking your love. Fill me with it, teach it to me, ingrain it in me in such a way that those I come in contact with will have no choice but to understand that love wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.
Thanks for leaving one, I'll get to it soon.
Chad